Titan Krios High-Res CryoEM and CryoET
The FEI Titan™ family currently offers the Titan 80-300 kV instruments, the world’s most powerful, commercially-available transmission electron microscope (TEM). Since its release in 2005, the Titan has been widely acclaimed both for its ability to deliver ground-breaking results and for its superior product design. It has rapidly become the preferred S/TEM of leading researchers around the world, enabling discovery and exploration down to sub-Ångström resolution in both TEM and S/TEM modes. Titan Family Advantages and Capabilities Performing at the 32 nm node, FEI’s Titan 80-300 kV transmission electron microscope images nanostructures with the highest level of detail available today—down to the sub-Ångström level, providing critical data for process development and materials research on a highly stable, easy-to-use platform. Titan is the next generation of a unique 80-300 kV range microscope for corrector and monochromator technologies.
Description: The Titan Krios is a cryoEM instrument for biological specimens from FEI. This instrument is dedicated to high-resolution cryo-electron microscopy of single particles and cryo-electron tomography of thick specimens.
- 80 to 300kV
- Field Emission Gun (FEG)
- Parallel Beam
- 1.4 Å resolution (information limit)
- Computer-controlled compustage
- +/- 70° double-tilt specimen stage
- Cs=2.7 mm
- Automated specimen handling system (the FEI Autoloader)
- Automated liquid nitrogen cooling system
- Gatan image filter (GIF) 2002 with 2kx2K CCD camera
- FEI Xplorer3D data acquisition and processing system
- SerialEM automatic data acquisition system (Version 3.8)
Rates: Academia rate: $125/hour; Industry rate: $250/hour
Note: Additional consumable charges may apply (e.g. $30/autogrid)
Titan Krios Operation
The Titan Krios transmission electron microscope is open for usage for all internal and external users. Instructions to become a user can be found here: EICN Become a User. Training can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive a reply within 48 hours, you can email Matthew Mecklenburg (email@example.com) to follow up.
Typical Operation of Titan Krios for first timers includes 3-4 hours of assisted usage (academic rate $125/hour, industry rate: $250/hour), in addition to the Titan Krios hourly rate. Please see here for our current recharge rates: http://www.eicn.ucla.edu/node/106
Assisted usage includes
- Approximately 1 hour to load your sample*
- Approximately 1-2 hours to set up the microscope including alignment and mapping
- Approximately 1 hour to set up the Leginon system and other software (single particle or batch tomography).
- If necessary, additional hours to train the user on the system. This is based on the user’s experience and familiarity with the system.
- When the Titan Krios is ready, you can start collecting images and processing your data on your own.
*Remember to bring your prepared samples on grids to our lab or ship them here prior to your arrival. Email us at EICNHELP@CNSI.UCLA.EDU for the address.
Supplies provided by EICN will be charged at cost. (Carbon Film Grids: $5/each, Quantifoil Grids: $15 each, Auto Grids: $30 each, etc.)